Norville "Shaggy" Rogers is a fictional character and a protagonist of the American animated television series Scooby-Doo, about the adventures of four crime-solving teenagers and Shaggy's pet Great Dane, Scooby-Doo. Shaggy is a cowardly slacker more interested in eating than solving mysteries. He is the only Scooby-Doo character (besides Scooby) to appear in all iterations of the franchise. He is given the name (or nickname) "Sammy" in all French dubs of the animated movies.
Shaggy's speech pattern includes punctuating his sentences with the word "like", and his appearance—he is lanky, with shaggy brown hair and a rough goatee (no moustache, though), and typically wears a green T-shirt and brown bell bottoms.
Both Shaggy and Scooby-Doo are readily bribed with Scooby Snacks due to their nearly insatiable appetites, and have tendencies toward goofing off and cowardice. They justify their constant hunger by saying, "Being in a constant state of terror makes us constantly hungry!".
Matthew Lillard as Shaggy in Scooby-Doo.Shaggy was originally voiced by Casey Kasem, who continued in the role for twenty-eight years. Billy West and Scott Innes (who also voiced Scooby for a time) briefly took over the role in several of the direct-to-video films produced in the late 1990s and early 2000s. In 2002, Kasem returned to the role for The WB's new Scooby series What's New, Scooby-Doo?. In the live-action films Scooby-Doo (2002) and Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, Shaggy is portrayed by Matthew Lillard; in the live-action prequel Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins, he is portrayed by Nick Palatas. Scott Menville assumed the role of Shaggy in 2005 for Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue's temporary replacement.
- Casey Kasem (1969–1997, 2002–2009)
- Billy West (1998)
- Scott Innes (1999–2002)
- Scott Menville (2005–2007)
- Matthew Lillard (2002 and 2004 live-action films, 2010–present as a voice actor)
- Nick Palatas (Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins (2009), Scooby-Doo! Curse of the Lake Monster (2010))
Relatives of Shaggy shown during the series include:
- Mr. & Mrs. Samuel Chastain "Mom and Pops" Rogers: Shaggy's parents. Shaggy's father is a police officer. At one point, Shaggy's parents lived in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Casey Kasem voiced "Pops" in the first season of Mystery Incorporated. Grey DeLisle voices "Mom" in Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated.
- Maggie Rogers: Shaggy's younger sister. In A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, she was nicknamed Sugey.
- Wilfred: Maggie's fiancee/husband, and Shaggy's brother-in-law.
- Gaggy Rogers: Shaggy's uncle, who likes to play practical jokes.
- Uncle Shagworthy: Shaggy's rich uncle. Not only does he look like his nephew — he has the same appetite and cowardice. He keeps his most precious possession (food) in a secret refrigerator with valuable jewels.
- Great Uncle Nat (Nathaniel): Shaggy's great-uncle.
- Uncle Beauregard: Shaggy's late uncle, who left his entire fortune and his Southern mansion and plantation to Shaggy in his will. He was referred to in Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers, although he never made an appearance.
- Fearless Shagaford: Shaggy's uncle, who owns the Fearless Detective Agency (see Fearless Fosdick)
- Uncle Albert Shaggleford: Shaggy's rich uncle, an inventor who's only appeared in Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue! voiced by Casey Kasem.